Murupolku - Usein kysytty kysymys - EN

How does one ensure a foreign employee’s right to work?

Foreign employee

Workers’ nationality can be checked from their passport or other official travel document (e.g. identity card) to determine whether they have an automatic right to work in Finland. Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries usually need either a worker’s residence permit or another kind of residence permit that allows them to work in Finland, and their right to work can therefore be checked from their residence permit card. The law allows for certain circumstances in which no residence permit is needed for a foreign national to work in Finland. If you are in any doubt of an individual’s right to work, you can contact, for example, the Finnish Immigration Service.

17 Oct 2023